Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review - My Feudal Lord

My Feudal LordMy Feudal Lord by Tehmina Durrani
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The book lacks sincerity. The author tries to hard to portray herself as totally naive and innocent, preyed on by a tyrannical and cruel husband. "I refused to let go because of the kids," she maintains. Seeing that she left her first daughter to marry her feudal lord, she doesn't come off as such a devoted and loving mother for me to buy that argument. It does not come off as a wolf-sheep combination at all for me to be entirely sympathetic to her ordeal. The worst part was when her baby sister falls in the honey trap of her preying husband. Instead of making attempts to rescue her from his clutches, she looks at the child as a sort of rival, a much younger inamorata who is trying to steal her husband.
Being a life story, this book is bound to be judged not by its writing style or the author's literary skills, but by the surmised virtues of the characters involved. Try as hard as I might to do otherwise, I have ended up rating the author and not the book.
2 out of 5 stars for both.

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment